A happy heart makes the face cheerful...Proverbs 15:13

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

You know you've done something right.....

As a parent, one of the best feelings in the world is witnessing your children do good things. Not just cleaning their room without being told type of good things, but sincerely good things. For me, I really emphasize on helping others. I try to express to them that one small good deed could change a persons day or could even change their life. I was able to witness this thorough one of my kids this week.



This is the 4-4 1/2 inches of snow we got. This is our patio banister.



and this is my 9 year old trying shovel the 4 1/2 inches of snow off of our driveway.


Not only did my son go out, without even being asked, to shovel our driveway, but he went across the road and did the elderly couple's drive, as well as the elderly single man that lives next to them. When I looked out the window, I nearly cried. He gets it! He has heard what I have been saying!

The elderly couple happened to pull up as he was finishing. I watched out the window as they gave him a huge hug and then the man reached in his wallet and gave him $2. After he tucked his wallet back in his pocket, he stood with his arms crossed and just keep shaking his head in disbelief. The look of shock continued as my child asked if he needed help carrying in the groceries they just brought home. The man politely decline and roughed up Logan's hair a bit, before sending him on his way.


He came running home. He was so excited that he actually got rewarded for what he had done. All in a single breath he said, "Mom, Mom, Mr. Porter gave me $2 and I didn't even do it for $2 but he gave it to me anyway!" I just reminded him that when we go out to do something that is pleasing to God he will always reward us. Then I gave him another $10 for all his labor. Another lesson of of how hard work will always be rewarded with benefits. 3 driveways, each with 4 1/2 inches of snow, he deserved it.

It is times like this when you know you have done something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment