A happy heart makes the face cheerful...Proverbs 15:13

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Easy, Breezy Stroganoff with price per serving breakdown

Easy, Breezy Stroganoff- With variations and price break down
I did not eat stroganoff growing up as a kid. My parents made a lot of friend pork chops and meat loaf. The old school, home style foods. It wasn't until I was in the military that I fell in love with this dish. Now, the chow hall recipes weren't the greatest. However, it was always one of my favorites. I have been making it here and there over the years, trying to make it better. This by far is my favorite recipe. Not only is it easy, but it is a inexpensive meal. I have added a meal price breakdown at the end of the recipe.
Ingredients:
3 Tbls Butter
1 Tbls Garlic
1 Tsp salt
pepper to taste
2 Pounds Sirloin Tip( I used Top sirloin), cut into thin strips
1 sm onion chopped
8 oz mushrooms
1 16 oz container of sour cream


Cut steak into thin strips, chop onions, and rinse and dry mushrooms



Melt butter in a large sauce pan, add meat. Cook until browned. After 3-4 minutes add onions, mushrooms, salt, pepper, and garlic. Complete cooking until all meat is cooked through.


Turn heat to low. Add sour cream. Reduced fat sour cream is okay, I would not recommend using low fat. Stir and cook only to warm.

Serve over egg noddles. I like this with wide egg noodles, but we made double portion of the thin variety with yesterday's dinner. Saved me time today. I just popped them back into the strainer and ran hot water over them to serve.
Variations:
-Replace steak with ground beef or chicken
-Minimize or remove mushrooms. My kids are not big on mushrooms, so I normally put in enough for me and the hubby to pick out for ourselves.
-Add less sour cream(half the container at least)
-Add a dash of worcestershire sauce
We are a family of 6. However, I normally prepare 8 servings so that I have extra for leftover frozen dinner meals or a leftover lunch. These prices reflect 8 servings.
Cost Break Down:
Butter- $.50
Salt- $.05
Pepper-$ .05
Garlic- $.10
Steak- 5.70- I used a more expensive steak(top sirloin) because it just looked better then the sirloin tip steaks they had) For the normal stuff I would have spent $2.93.
Sour Cream-$.99
Noodles- $1.19
Mushrooms: $1.00
This meal total: $9.33, $1.17 per serving. With the normal steak: $6.81 , $.85 per serving.
Pretty yummy, for a pretty penny.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment