A happy heart makes the face cheerful...Proverbs 15:13

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Preschool Curriculum


Hooked on Phonics: Beginning Reading with Bible Stories Ages 4-6

This set was not included in my original plans for next school year. I found it brand new at a used book store for $10(Brand new runs $30 or so) and thought I’d give it a whirl. I wanted to try it out to see if I wanted to include it in our lessons.

We have being doing the flash cards with the CD and a page from the workbook a few times a week. My son, who will be 4 in May, has already started to remember all of the sounds of the letters. This has been a remarkable program and we are very excited to continue with it for this coming school year. If I can find them for a reasonable cost, I will continue with this program for kindergarten. From my research, you can find this specific program used for $10-$15 on Amazon, EBay or Half Price Books online.



Fruit of the Tender Heart ( At teachmejoy.com)

This was my original plan for my preschooler.

Teach me Joy is a self-published early learning home school curriculum that has been brought to you by a seasoned teacher and homeschooling mom. Fruit for Tender Hearts is a home school program targeting students in K3-K5.

This is an inexpensive down loadable curriculum. It is running on sale right now for $15. To save ink, I plan to print a week or 2 at a time as we do them. This curriculum includes Bible, math, science, reading and LA for the entire year.

You can get a full description of this curriculum and other teach me joy curriculum at the Teach Me Joy website.


Calendar time: We do this at the beginning of everyday to learn how to use the calendar, learn days of the week, and months of the year and special days and holidays. It also refreshes counting skills. My older kids sit in on this too; they need to know the date to put it on the work for the day. We also use this time to go over our bible verse for that week



Reading

I created a reading list for my preschooler. However, I am sure that many more books will be added on to this list. He normally raids the library every time we go. The books on our list are just some of my old favorites, some of my older kids old favorites and also ones that my preschooler has enjoyed so far. You can view our reading list here.


My one goal for myself is not to force, but encourage my preschooler to do his ‘school’. Age 4 is a great age of fun and a time of learning through experience. By forcing him to do his work, it can discourage him. He will not consider it fun anymore. In most cases he asks to do his ‘work’ because his brothers are working on theirs and he wants to be a part of whatever they are doing. I am going to try to take full advantage of that.

Not forcing him do his work doesn’t mean he will get to do whatever he wants though. We still have a structure and schedule. He will have to choose some sort of activity. Blocks, trains, coloring. That’s a whole other post! “How to entertain your preschooler while you school your older children”.


Happy Preschooling!!



























No comments:

Post a Comment